Best build tool for D projects

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Sat May 14 01:04:01 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 17:56 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[ . . . ]
> There are other good build systems that aren't targeted directly at D, like
> Rake, SCons and A-A-P. But A-A-P's documentation is very difficult to
> understand. Rake and SCons introduce a dependency on Ruby and Python,
> respectively. And none of them (to my knowledge) will find dependencies
> automatically, you have to keep track of every single D source file
> individually, which is a pointless pain in the ass.

SCons capabilities can be fixed if there is some willingness to get
things fixed and for people to use it.  If no-one other than me is ever
going to use the D tool of SCons there is little point in putting
forward a programme of evolution of said D tool -- since it works fine
for my needs just now.

The built-in SCons D tool is a little out of date -- see earlier email
about the latest DMD release -- all development work should be done with
the separate tool fork on BitBucket
https://bitbucket.org/russel/scons_dmd_new

This BitBucket project has an issues store which is undoubtedly the best
way of getting some activity going -- along with people interested in
doing some Python coding to help this D support, forking the repository
making changes and sending in pull requests.  If issues relate directly
to SCons rather than the D tool they can be bounced to the SCons issue
tracker.

[ . . . ]

> - Rake: I kind of like it despite the fact that it's Ruby instead of D.

Rake is very much Make but as an internal DSL with the power of a good
dynamic language.  As far as I am aware there is little support for C, C
++, LaTeX, D, Go, Java, Scala, etc. you have to role everything
yourself.  Ruby, Gems, etc. are very well supported.

> - SCons: You use Python. A lot of people like it.

I have to admit I do.  But then I have a special sort of use
environment.

[ . . . ]

And then there is Waf.

--