Implementing std.log

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat May 14 15:33:06 PDT 2011

> On 2011-05-14 14:56, Michel Fortin wrote:
>> On 2011-05-14 17:31:30 -0400, Jonathan M Davis<jmdavisProg at gmx.com>  said:
>>> So, I do think that knowing which thread is logging what could be very
>>> important for some programs, but I don't think that separating the log
>>> files is necessarily a good idea. If you did, you'd lose timing
>>> information (unless the time is at the beginning of every log line
>>> (which could also be useful), but then you'd have to read the times and
>>> compare them to see what happened before what). So, I'd be all for some
>>> options and extra information which could be added to each log line
>>> which would help debugging, but I don't think that thread-local logs is
>>> a great idea.
>>
>> I'd even go further and question whether it makes sense to have info,
>> warning, and errors be written to separate files.
>
> I'd definitely vote for them all to be in the same file, but I don't generally
> see much benefit in having multiple log files. I like having them all in one
> place where you can see what happened in what order. Having them in separate
> log files is just going to make it harder to figure out what happened, and I
> think that it would become tempting (for me at least) to just log everything
> at exactly the same level so that they ended up in the same file.

The info log contains log messages for all levels.

Generally I'd want to stray from glog's major design decision as little
as possible. It's an approach validated by years of experience in
heavy-duty applications. Also, people coming from glog and used to its
features would find it unpleasant that we decided to do things a
different way without solid reasons.

Andrei