reddit discussion about Go turns to D again

Adam Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat May 14 16:46:12 PDT 2011

Ugh, it annoys me so much that they do those long videos instead
of some plain text!

But, I watched parts of it, and I really wasn't impressed. They didn't
use any interesting techniques - it was just a straight forward app
using some uninteresting libraries. Even the HTTP server was incredibly
plain; there's nothing remarkable about that code.

There was one thing I'd remark on though. They talked about the
importance of error handling in Go... but their solution was lame. We've
talked about it before here, but blargh, Go's error handling sucks. Very
ugly code, and looks easy to get wrong.

Then they went into some appengine stuff. Again, unremarkable aside
from the ugliness. Poo.

After watching it, out of curiosity, I looked at Go's documentation
for the http package. Of course, they immediately attack CGI on it's
page. Blargh.

But, one thing that is ok is your client code looks the same with
a variety of methods. Good.

What's weak is the poor offering of the library. I haven't used it,
of course, the documentation and that video were both very
unimpressive.

Go's library has a wide breadth... but very little depth. Much of
what it offers is trivial, and it doesn't go far beyond that. It's
a very thin wrapper... and the abstractions it does offer seem to
be leaky.

I wouldn't use it for real work, even if the syntax wasn't so ugly.

Looking at the Reddit thread too, I notice nobody is actually talking
about the video. I imagine the reason why is just how utterly
uninteresting it was.  And odds are the stupid video presentation
means half the commentators didn't even watch it!