reddit discussion about Go turns to D again

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun May 15 00:46:54 PDT 2011

Well, C++ already kind of has, thanks to Intel's TBB and Microsoft's PPL and
Agents libraries.

Intel's Cilk you also provides interesting extensions to C and C++, and they
look pretty much
like Go's ideas.

--
Paulo

"Russel Winder" <russel at russel.org.uk> wrote in message
news:mailman.180.1305441718.14074.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
On Sun, 2011-05-15 at 01:12 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[ . . . ]
> Every time I look at Go^H^HIssue 9, I can't help wondering why there's
> people out there who apparently assume that just because someone did
> something significant 40 years ago somehow implies they have the Midas
> touch.

Indeed.  Having said that, whatever may be wrong with Go (and actually I
think there is a lot), the Channels/Goroutines system is a significant
improvement in programming language technology.  Hopefully soon C++ will
have something not dissimilar (cf. Anthony William's work on
Just::Thread Pro), and D will add dataflow and CSP to the actor and data
parallelism stuff it already has.  Actors, dataflow, CSP and data
parallelism are all subtly different and serve different purposes in
different applications and systems.  Having just one model of
concurrency and parallelism stunts usage.  This lesson is rapidly being
learned in Scala.

GPars rocks (cf. http://gpars.codehaus.org).  But then I would say that
wouldn't I.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip:
sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk