Flagshit concurrency

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Sun May 15 10:49:54 PDT 2011

On 15/05/2011 10:08, Gilbert Dawson wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm new to D.

Welcome :)

> I've been studying new languages for new concurrency
> ideas. I'd like to implement a small and lightweight Lighttpd
> replacement and replace the scripting with MiniD. One has heard in
> many places that D supports a new idea of "flagship message passing".

You've hit your first roadblock here - MiniD is written in D1/Tango, the
concurrency model you speak of is D2 only (not that it couldn't be
implemented in D1). Your options are then - port MiniD to D2 - that will
take a while, it's heavily dependent on Tango, which is D1 only
(currently, D2 support is underway it seems); Use another scripting
language that has D bindings; Use D - dmd is fast enough that you could
in fact use D as a scripting language.

> So I'd like to use this with async i/o and one threaded server
> process. Is it suitable for this?

I believe someone is working on async i/o as a GSoC project. I don't
believe support for it exists in Phobos currently - I could be wrong.
Again, you could use bindings to C for this.

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/