reddit discussion about Go turns to D again

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun May 15 16:10:27 PDT 2011

On 2011-05-15 15:48, Robert Clipsham wrote:
> On 15/05/2011 23:39, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> >>
> >> Leave it as std.parallel_algorithm:
> >>
> >> 1. people instantly know what it is
> >>
> >> 2. google will index it as "parallel algorithm", exactly what we want.
> >> URL names carry a lot of weight with google page rank
> >>
> >> Calling it "palgorithm" will get us nowhere in terms of visibility.
> >
> > Sounds like a good argument.
> >
> > Andrei
>
> Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree. While palgorithm saves on typing
> and avoids the hideous underscore, parallel_algorithm is far easier to
> find.
>
> Argument #2 I don't find as attractive, but it could be a nice way to
> increase D's usage (not that many people are looking for it -
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=parallel+algorithm although that's
> probably not indicative, considering it contains the majority, who
> aren't programmers).
>
> Besides which, it's not like you'll be typing it all the time, if you're
> doing things that are likely to need parallel computation then that one
> line of import isn't going to make much difference to the amount of
> typing you have to do.

If it's a big problem, then that's where alias comes in. However, if
parallel_algorithm's function names are the same as algorithm's, that could
result in a lot of name clashing and force you to either use alias or fully
qualify the package name frequently. If the function signatures are different
enough though, that won't actually end up being a problem.

- Jonathan M Davis