reddit discussion about Go turns to D again

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun May 15 17:20:04 PDT 2011

On 05/15/2011 07:11 PM, dsimcha wrote:
>> The function signatures would be identical underlying the fact that
>> their actual semantics are identical.
>>
>> Andrei
>
> Not so sure. For parallel computation, you'd probably want to have some
> additional, though optional, configurability for things like work unit
> size.

Sure. Those are not per call call though. std.algorithm offers a ton of
functions. The cleanest way to expose parallel equivalents is as
functions with identical signatures in a different module. It's very
much in the spirit of D.

We should take a look at Gnu parallel.
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/parallel_mode.html, which
does the same (and I think they made the right decision).

Andrei