reddit discussion about Go turns to D again

Adam Richardson simpleshot at gmail.com
Sun May 15 18:31:05 PDT 2011

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu <
SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> On 05/15/2011 06:39 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> On 5/15/2011 3:48 PM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
>>
>>> 2. google will index it as "parallel algorithm", exactly what we want.

>>> increase
>>> D's usage (not that many people are looking for it -
>>> http://www.google.com/trends?q=parallel+algorithm although that's
>>> probably not
>>> indicative, considering it contains the majority, who aren't
>>> programmers).
>>>

>> Yeah, but I'd like anyone actually searching for "parallel algorithm" to
>> find the D library at the top or near the top of the list.
>>
>> If we make up a unique name, like "palgorithm", nobody is going to find
>> it.
>>
>> Making up unique names is the right thing to do for branding and
>> establishing a trademark. Otherwise, search engine friendly terms are
>> far and away the better option.
>>

> That was much more the case for AltaVista than Google, which uses quite
> different approaches to ranking.
>
> Andrei

Agreed. Name the library, module, function, etc. according to what you
honestly believe leads to the best user experience. We can take steps to
improve SEO if needed.

Now, that's not to say that the suggested name is bad
(std.parallel_algorithm), or that SEO considerations don't often overlap
user-friendly labeling schemes. The point is that the web pages can be
crafted to enhance findability if needed.

Adam