Flagshit concurrency

Jonas Drewsen jdrewsen at nospam.com
Mon May 16 07:10:21 PDT 2011

On 15/05/11 19.49, Robert Clipsham wrote:
> On 15/05/2011 10:08, Gilbert Dawson wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm new to D.
>
> Welcome :)
>
>> I've been studying new languages for new concurrency
>> ideas. I'd like to implement a small and lightweight Lighttpd
>> replacement and replace the scripting with MiniD. One has heard in
>> many places that D supports a new idea of "flagship message passing".
>
> You've hit your first roadblock here - MiniD is written in D1/Tango, the
> concurrency model you speak of is D2 only (not that it couldn't be
> implemented in D1). Your options are then - port MiniD to D2 - that will
> take a while, it's heavily dependent on Tango, which is D1 only
> (currently, D2 support is underway it seems); Use another scripting
> language that has D bindings; Use D - dmd is fast enough that you could
> in fact use D as a scripting language.
>
>> So I'd like to use this with async i/o and one threaded server
>> process. Is it suitable for this?
>
> I believe someone is working on async i/o as a GSoC project. I don't
> believe support for it exists in Phobos currently - I could be wrong.
> Again, you could use bindings to C for this.

Noone is working on the async I/O project for GSoC unfortunately since
we did not get enough GSoC slots assigned.

Message passing is mostly used for multithreaded use. Since your app is
single threaded I do not believe message passing is the way to go. A
pure async reactor based design would probably give the best performance.

/Jonas