reddit discussion about Go turns to D again

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon May 16 10:32:25 PDT 2011

> bearophile wrote:
> > Sean Kelly:
> > > std.paralellogrithm ;-)
> >
> > The module name I like more so far is the simple "parallel_algorithm".
> > But I don't mind the "p" prefix for the parallel function names.
> >
> > Bye,
> > bearophile
>
> It is also possible to have both "p" prefix and identical names. The latter
> would be mere aliases and would be activated by a version declaration or
> similar. I think both possibilities have their merits, so letting the user
> choose would be an option.
>
> parallel_algorithm is to the point, but not very concise. I do not think we
> can do very much better.

That doesn't work. As soon as the non-p versions exist, you have name clashes.
So, if the point of starting the function names with p is to avoid name
clashes, then you've gained nothing. Besides, we generally try to avoid
aliases like that in Phobos. Such a scheme would never be accepted.

- Jonathan M Davis