Arrays are sufficient for ArrayLists? Really??

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon May 16 13:22:21 PDT 2011

On 5/16/11 3:15 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2011 23:11:50 +0300, Andrei Alexandrescu
>
>> I tested the function above.
>
> OP's intention was to create a version of removeAt which modifies the
> array in-place only when there are no other aliases towards the data.
> The initial approach was to attempt to check if the passed array is a
> slice of a larger array, but as it was discussed, it's flawed.

The parameters of the problem have been re(de)fined several times during
this discussion. Various responses focused on as many perceptions of
what the request was. Some code snippets were wrong in the sense that
they didn't work within their own specification. Those are different
from responses that do work within their charter, hence my clarification.

It does seem that all answers were ill-fitted to the way the problem has
been ultimately formulated.

Andrei