Article Review: Migrating from std.date to std.datetime

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed May 18 20:52:12 PDT 2011

On 2011-05-18 12:37, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2011 00:36:26 -0400, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
>
> wrote:
> > A minor update with a few corrections: http://is.gd/GNELTZ
> >
> > Naturally, it's also up on my github account:
> > https://github.com/jmdavis/d-
> > programming-language.org/tree/article_datetime
>
> One comment:
>
> 'It should be noted however that very little takes "nsecs", because...'
>
> "very little" sounds wrong there, did you mean something like "very few
> functions" or "not many functions"?  You use the phrase again later, may
> want to change that as well.

Well, very little is more generic. It could include both types and functions.
I don't really see what's wrong with it. I could probably change it to say
functions though.

> This is a good article to have in the documentation, we need more
> tutorial-y stuff like this in general.

Well, I set it up so that I can create a pull request and have it added to d-
programming-language.org. I figured that I'd do that after I'd gotten a
sufficient level of feedback, and the article seemed polished enough for it.

> I wonder if the title shouldn't be "std.datetime tutorial, and migrating
>  from std.date", since a lot of the article is spent simply explaining
> std.datetime.  It might actually benefit to rearrange it to put all the
> 'porting from std.date' parts into a single section near the end.  Just a
> thought...

Not a bad idea, though treating it as a more general introduction to
std.datetime would require a bit of rewriting. I'll have to think about it.
Certainly, it could be worth reading for simply learning about std.datetime
even if you'd never really used std.date.

- Jonathan M Davis