There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Don nospam at nospam.com
Fri May 20 00:33:31 PDT 2011

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Andrej Mitrovic" <none at none.none> wrote in message
> news:ir43p5$21q7$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> I'm not sure when these came out, but the last time I've tried using git
>> and github the instructions were a little bit messed up (i.e. windows
>> instructions mixed up with linux instructions) and I couldn't really get
>> anything to work back then. But they've made new ones, with screenshots
>> and the works:
>>
>> http://help.github.com/win-set-up-git/
>>
>> I've finally managed to make a pull and a push, yay! I'm still trying to
>> figure out an alternative to ssh-agent, since that is unavailable on
>> Windows. Otherwise I'll have to copy/paste the pass all the time or just
>> use a passwordless key (eh, it's not like I'll be storing sensitive
>> information on github..).
>>

> I came across some instructions somewhere that involved using something
> called Pageant, and it's working for me. Basically, I gave Pageant the keys,
> set Pageant to load at startup and it sits there in the background handing
> all that git ssh stuff for me. I don't have a clue what any of the details
> were, though. Can't remember. I did install TortoiseGit, too, I don't know
> if that might have something to do with it...  With a brief googling, this
> *might* be it, but I'm not sure:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3625148/how-do-i-store-a-password-for-my-key-so-i-can-commit-and-pull-from-repository-whe
>
> God I fucking hate broken documentation and half-assed windows ports (which
> Git clearly is)...

Here's my list of bugs in git for windows which I found in the first
fews days of using it:

1. Windows git's handling of paths is completely screwed.
If you've checked out your working copy into (say) c:\foo\bar\dmd
and you rename a parent directory, eg to c:\foo2\bar\dmd, your working
copy gets hosed.
Maybe this happens only after you've performed a git operation; didn't
experiment with it much.
2. It does something really horrible with the idea of your 'home'
directory. I'm not sure exactly what it does, but it seems to equate 'My
Documents' with $HOME. If ActiveDirectory is in use,
you can end up with more than one $HOME. I've also had it suddenly think
that my home directory lies on a file server. This corrupts your
configuration file, and you lose your public keys.
3. The 'gittutorial' is ridiculous and insulting. In the first two
minutes of using git, you already need to know far more commands than
are included in the tutorial. Most obviously, it should talk about
git-reset before discussing branching and collaboration.
4. If a large number of files have been changed in a single commit, gitk
can pop up a message box that is larger than your full screen -- so the
'OK' button is not visible!
5. TortoiseGit has a manual which is full of references to Subversion.
You cannot trust anything you read in that manual. I quickly gave up any
attempts to use TortoiseGit.
6. Git bash and/or vim is very amateurish. Eg, pressing cursor keys when
you're at the start of a line causes the screen to flash.
7. In git diff, using scroll bars to view an earlier part of the screen,
then pressing a key corrupts the bash screen.
8. Git diff's highlighting is wrong when a modified line is longer than
80 characters long.

You've really got to be a fanboy to claim that git is supported on
Windows. Sure, it "works" -- in the same way that hammering a nail with
a rock "works".