There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri May 20 04:30:08 PDT 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011 10:33:31 +0300, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:

> You've really got to be a fanboy to claim that git is supported on
> Windows. Sure, it "works" -- in the same way that hammering a nail with
> a rock "works".

You've mentioned some fairly untypical usage, so it's not surprising you
ran into so many problems. Why would you want to use the interactive bash
shell?

I found that all git commands work fine from CMD. The only reason to use
bash that I can think of is to allow copy-pasting commands with parameters
quoted/escaped in a way incompatible to CMD. I'm not sure how vim fits the
toolchain at all, I think it's just provided as a bonus in msysgit. If you
need a proper *nix-like environment on Windows, have you looked at Cygwin?
For a long while, Cygwin was the only supported way to run git on Windows.

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net