There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Don nospam at nospam.com
Fri May 20 07:52:53 PDT 2011

Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2011 10:33:31 +0300, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> You've really got to be a fanboy to claim that git is supported on
>> Windows. Sure, it "works" -- in the same way that hammering a nail
>> with a rock "works".
>
> You've mentioned some fairly untypical usage,

Huh????

> so it's not surprising you
> ran into so many problems. Why would you want to use the interactive
> bash shell?

Because it has slightly fewer bugs than the other alternatives.

> I found that all git commands work fine from CMD.

Not in my experience. Initially I tried that, but I *immediately*
encountered severe data corruption (similar to bug #1 on my list).
I've just tried again:

C:\sandbox\dmd>git fetch walter
remote: Counting objects: 23, done.
Unpacking objects: 100% (14/14), done.
 From git://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd
    afd1728..50de957  dmd-1.x    -> walter/dmd-1.x
    145d753..eb38e18  master     -> walter/master

C:\sandbox\dmd>git status
ignoring REUC extension
# On branch ctfe5966
# Untracked files:
....<etc, this bit works OK>
#       test/runnable/xtest46.obj
#       test/test_results/
nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)

C:\sandbox\dmd>git status
error: bad index file sha1 signature
fatal: index file corrupt

Words fail me...

> The only reason to use
> bash that I can think of is to allow copy-pasting commands with
> parameters quoted/escaped in a way incompatible to CMD. I'm not sure how
> vim fits the toolchain at all, I think it's just provided as a bonus in
> msysgit. If you need a proper *nix-like environment on Windows, have you
> looked at Cygwin? For a long while, Cygwin was the only supported way to
> run git on Windows.

Sorry, but your reply is a textbook example of fanboyism. On Windows,
git is an utterly lousy product. And yes, I have both cygwin and Msys.