There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri May 20 08:46:52 PDT 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011 17:52:53 +0300, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:

> Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 May 2011 10:33:31 +0300, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You've really got to be a fanboy to claim that git is supported on
>>> Windows. Sure, it "works" -- in the same way that hammering a nail
>>> with a rock "works".
>>  You've mentioned some fairly untypical usage,
>
> Huh????

You wouldn't consider using msysgit's bash shell and utilities on an AD
computer "untypical"?

I believe the typical usage of msysgit is:
1) Using the GUI utilities in combination with Git-Cheetah
2) Using git from the Windows command line via the git.cmd wrapper

>> so it's not surprising you ran into so many problems. Why would you
>> want to use the interactive bash shell?
>
> Because it has slightly fewer bugs than the other alternatives.

Problems #6 and #7 on your list, maybe even #1 and #2 are msys problems.
They might not exist in, for example, cygwin.

> fatal: index file corrupt
>
> Words fail me...

Don't you think that a common data corruption problem would get a lot more
attention, given the number of Windows git users?

Can you describe a way for me to reproduce it? I'm genuinely curious.

>> The only reason to use bash that I can think of is to allow
>> copy-pasting commands with parameters quoted/escaped in a way
>> incompatible to CMD. I'm not sure how vim fits the toolchain at all, I
>> think it's just provided as a bonus in msysgit. If you need a proper
>> *nix-like environment on Windows, have you looked at Cygwin? For a long
>> while, Cygwin was the only supported way to run git on Windows.
>
> Sorry, but your reply is a textbook example of fanboyism. On Windows,
> git is an utterly lousy product. And yes, I have both cygwin and Msys.

Hm, are we pointing fingers now? :/
This is your post: "I tried X and it sucked! Therefore, anyone who says
that X doesn't suck MUST be a fanboy, number of world-wide happy X users
be damned."
"textbook example of fanboyism" seems to have become a textbook reply to
anyone trying to argue with a rant.

All I'm saying is that the problems you're encountering are not typical,
and I'm wondering if it might be caused by your approach at using Git. I'm
not arguing that Git is perfect or as polished on Windows as, e.g.,
Mercurial.

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net