There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri May 20 14:13:46 PDT 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011 23:12:54 +0300, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> "Vladimir Panteleev" <vladimir at thecybershadow.net> wrote in message
> news:op.vvsd4ef3tuzx1w at cybershadow.mshome.net...

>>> Huh????
>>
>> You wouldn't consider using msysgit's bash shell and utilities on an AD
>> computer "untypical"?
>>

> Half of github's "setting up on windows" instructions (
> http://help.github.com/win-set-up-git/ ) use Git bash. Sounds like it's
> *expected* to be typical usage. That fact that it's even there at all
> strongly suggests the Git developers feel that it will be needed.

Good point (one can argue why Github chose to instruct users to use bash),
but what about vim and the rest of the suite?

>> I believe the typical usage of msysgit is:
>> 1) Using the GUI utilities in combination with Git-Cheetah
>> 2) Using git from the Windows command line via the git.cmd wrapper

>>> Because it has slightly fewer bugs than the other alternatives.
>>
>> Problems #6 and #7 on your list, maybe even #1 and #2 are msys problems.
>> They might not exist in, for example, cygwin.
>>

> And yet Git still chooses to rely on msys for operation on Windows,
> despite
> msys's problems.
>
> If I were to release a Windows program and then package it up together
> with
> Wine and claim I've made a Linux version, too: that would be total BS. It
> *wouldn't* be a Linux version. At best it could be considered a
> half-assed
> attempt, and naturally it would have problems. And I very much doubt
> Linux
> users would put up it it being considered a real Linux version. But
> that's
> *exactly* what Git on Windows is, as well as all software that relies on
> msys, mingw or cygwin for so-called "windows support". Except that, in my
> experience, wine works far better than msys, mingw and cygwin.

Yeah. It's a direct consequence of half of git being written in bash
script. I believe there is some effort in the last few years to transition
to a fully C implementation... I think there's actually a native Git DLL
that shell extensions and IDEs can use now.

Anyway, I've done plenty of rebasing, branch-filtering, merging and
rewriting and never needed the git bash prompt, so I think it's there as
an option, and not because you're expected to use it.

Note that the msysgit network install requires using the msys prompt to
update the git source repos and build/install git from source. That could
explain why vim and other tools are included.

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net