There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri May 20 15:18:14 PDT 2011

On Sat, 21 May 2011 00:47:46 +0300, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I would have thought so. I wouldn't expect to find the root cause
> first described as bug #21, yes TWENTY ONE in the msysgit database.

Sorry, but did you read the bug report and the whole comment you linked
to? It's completely unrelated, core.auto-crlf is related to the conversion
of files in the working directory - this setting will not affect the way
the index is accessed. You're not making much of sense, and I'm the
"fanboy" here...

> I don't know exactly what causes it. It may have something to do with
> the fact that I have a symlink in my path. Here's the result of a quick
> google:
> ----
> http://www.nishioka.com/blog/2008/01/source-control-with-git-and-cygwin.html
>
> "If you use git on cygwin, you must be sure your disks are mounted
> binmode or your database will get corrupted!
>
> I had all my disks but one mounted binmode, but I also had a symbolic
> link that ended up using that one textmode mount. This corrupted the
> index and I got:
>
> error: bad index file sha1 signature
> fatal: index file corrupt"
>
> Still not fixed in cygwin in 2011.

How did you end up with a text mount? Did you create it yourself?

Will you agree, at least, that cygwin + text-mode mount (I had never even
heard of this before you brought it up) is not a typical set up?

(I imagine this might be an easy fix... fopen(index, "w") -> fopen(index,
"wb") oslt)

> No, fanboyism is evidenced in dismissing a list of bugs. I think that
> was a darn good list.

That depends on what do you mean by "dismiss". Am I arguing that these are
not bugs? No. Am I arguing that these are not bugs in Git for Windows that
the majority of users will encounter? Maybe.

I had actually typed a reply where I replied to each item in your list
(with my own observations and suggestions), but that would have definitely
landed me a "fanboy" label...

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net