[OT] Re: There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri May 20 15:20:27 PDT 2011

"Daniel Gibson" <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ir6p9s$1he8$6 at digitalmars.com...
> Am 20.05.2011 23:55, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
>>
>> Yea, and that's exactly the sort of thing I meant about corporations
>> playing
>> inexcusable Windows favoritism. But what I was talking about is just
>> ordinary (knowledgeable) users and OSS contributors who actually know
>> what
>> they're doing. From what I've seen, there are a lot on Linux that
>> consider
>> shoddy msys/mingw/cygwin "ports" to be acceptable, but not so many Linux
>> users who consider shoddy Windows->Linux ports acceptable.
>>

> Isn't mingw just a port of GCC, GDB etc?

*shrug* All I know is that I've dealt with stuff that required it before and
it was always a royal PITA.

> I don't think using it to build
> software (even together with MSYS when it's just used for configure etc
> and is not needed to run the program itself) is bad.

It's bad if the program is open source and it's required to build the
program.