There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri May 20 15:28:28 PDT 2011

"Daniel Gibson" <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ir6ph4$1he8$7 at digitalmars.com...
> Am 21.05.2011 00:15, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
>> "Daniel Gibson" <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:ir6jup$1he8$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> You wouldn't really expect that Linus cares about Windows support, would
>>> you? I guess on Linux git works really well (haven't used it much yet).
>>>
>>> Microsofts VCS (Visual Sourcesafe or something like that) won't work
>>> properly on Linux either..
>>
>> Microsoft is a corporation. So by definition, self-interested (Besides,
>> VSS
>> is rightfully dead anyway). Linus isn't a corporation and he isn't
>> selling
>> Linux. But he is, presumably, a self-respecting software developer and
>> not a
>> self-righteous ass that's out to throw his weight around at any whim (or
>> is
>> he?). So why not?
>>

> Yeah, Linus is not a corporation, he doesn't get paid to develop git, so
> why should he spend his precious time for Windows support that he (and
> his targeted userbase, i.e. Linux kernel developers) doesn't need?

Because it makes it a better product and, presumably, he cares about his
software being good. And like I said, *I* make damn sure my software is
sensibly cross-platform, and of all the things I bitch about, sensibly
supporting another major OS has never been one of them. And the fact that I
didn't write Windows doesn't invalidate the comparison: If I wrote OSS
program A that was an alternative to program B, and then I wrote OSS program
X that interacted with program A, you can be damn sure I'd be interested in
X being compatible with B, too.