[OT] Re: There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri May 20 15:34:12 PDT 2011

"Daniel Gibson" <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ir6q2j$1he8$8 at digitalmars.com...
> Am 21.05.2011 00:20, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
>> "Daniel Gibson" <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:ir6p9s$1he8$6 at digitalmars.com...
>>> I don't think using it to build
>>> software (even together with MSYS when it's just used for configure etc
>>> and is not needed to run the program itself) is bad.
>>>

>> It's bad if the program is open source and it's required to build the
>> program.
>>

> Why? MSYS and mingw are available on Windows and mingw is even available
> on linux for cross-compiling so it makes sense to use it for building
> the Windows version.
> As long as the resulting program doesn't have these dependencies it's ok
> IMHO.
> And if you really care it shouldn't be too hard to make it use another
> build-system (so you don't need MSYS) and maybe even another compiler..

The way I see it, msys and mingw are total pains in the ass that should
never be forced on anyone regardless of whether they're just using a program
or compiling it (and cygwin's even worse). If someone wants to use it
themself, then fine, but that garbage should never be forced on anyone.

And again, using Wine doesn't count as supporting Linux, so why the hell
should the other way around be any different?