[OT] Re: There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Fri May 20 16:24:19 PDT 2011

Am 21.05.2011 01:18, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
> "David Nadlinger" <see at klickverbot.at> wrote in message
> news:ir6r72$l38$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> On 5/21/11 12:34 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> And again, using Wine doesn't count as supporting Linux, so why the hell
>>> should the other way around be any different?
>>
>> Because, at least in my eyes, there is a huge difference between telling
>> your users that using Wine they might be able to get your software to work
>> on Linux (which is typically the most you can hope for if you are a Linux
>> user), and using MinGW to make porting your application to Windows easier,
>> which is not necessarily visible to the end user.
>>

> OSS programs, which most Linux programs are, are expected to be compilable
> by the user. Therefore, if msys or mingw are required to build it, then it
> *is* visible to the end user.

Compiling on Windows always sucks and is generally not done by the end
*user* (who generally is not a coder).
And I think it's easier for the user to install MinGW and MSYS and run
make than installing and configuring Visual Studio (especially when the
project is for another, maybe older, version) and use that for compiling.