[OT] Re: There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Fri May 20 16:30:37 PDT 2011

On 2011-05-20 18:13:30 -0400, Daniel Gibson <metalcaedes at gmail.com> said:

> I think in the case of git it's just a bit of bad luck.. as I wrote in
> another branch of this thread, Linus probably didn't care at all about
> Windows when developing git (it was meant to be used for Linux kernel
> development) and because it relies heavily on bash it's hard to port to
> Windows without msys or cygwin (which provide bash).

Sometime wanting to get to every platform at first try puts
restrictions on what you can do or how fast you can develop. Time helps
overcome those early limitations, but the early adopters suffer.

For git, I think libgit2 will help a lot once it's complete.
<http://libgit2.github.com/>

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com