[OT] Re: There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri May 20 22:12:24 PDT 2011

"Daniel Gibson" <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ir6tel$1he8$13 at digitalmars.com...
> Am 21.05.2011 01:18, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
>> "David Nadlinger" <see at klickverbot.at> wrote in message
>> news:ir6r72$l38$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>>
>>> Because, at least in my eyes, there is a huge difference between telling
>>> your users that using Wine they might be able to get your software to
>>> work
>>> on Linux (which is typically the most you can hope for if you are a
>>> Linux
>>> user), and using MinGW to make porting your application to Windows
>>> easier,
>>> which is not necessarily visible to the end user.
>>>

>> OSS programs, which most Linux programs are, are expected to be
>> compilable
>> by the user. Therefore, if msys or mingw are required to build it, then
>> it
>> *is* visible to the end user.
>
> Compiling on Windows always sucks and is generally not done by the end
> *user* (who generally is not a coder).
> And I think it's easier for the user to install MinGW and MSYS and run
> make than installing and configuring Visual Studio (especially when the
> project is for another, maybe older, version) and use that for compiling.

My experience has been the other way around. Besides, a *lot* of windows
programmers don't use Visual Studio. I don't. (Used to, back around versions
5-6 and early .NET, but not anymore.)

And with D, compiling is equally easy/hard on both Windows/Linux :)