[OT] Re: There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri May 20 22:24:30 PDT 2011

"Michel Fortin" <michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote in message
news:ir6tqm$pbf$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 2011-05-20 18:13:30 -0400, Daniel Gibson <metalcaedes at gmail.com> said:
>
>> I think in the case of git it's just a bit of bad luck.. as I wrote in
>> another branch of this thread, Linus probably didn't care at all about
>> Windows when developing git (it was meant to be used for Linux kernel
>> development) and because it relies heavily on bash it's hard to port to
>> Windows without msys or cygwin (which provide bash).
>
> Sometime wanting to get to every platform at first try puts restrictions
> on what you can do or how fast you can develop. Time helps overcome those
> early limitations, but the early adopters suffer.

I guess for all I know that might be the case for some people in some
situations. In my personal experience though, I've always found that
designing with cross-compatibility in mind right from the start makes things
go *much* more smoothly in the long run. Separating out platform-specific
code and avoiding too much reliance on platform specific tools/libs is
usually very easy. Unless maybe you're writing a kerenel module or
something, but that's not really what we're talking about ;)

> For git, I think libgit2 will help a lot once it's complete.
> <http://libgit2.github.com/>

Interesting. That's the first I've heard of that. Thanks for the link.

Although, personally, I'm still more in the hg camp than the git camp, even
if git did work well on windows (hence my strong interest in seeing that
dulwich/hg-git issue get fixed instead of passed off as only moderately
important)...But I'm not sure I want to get into a vi-vs-emacs sort of
debate...