D is back on Tiobe, now in position 23

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Fri May 20 23:02:14 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 22:19 +0100, Robert Clipsham wrote:
[ . . . ]
> And yes, I know TIOBE is a completely useless index (read that as a list
> of sophisticated arguments you've read before about it rather than a
> single sentence :3)

I disagree that it is useless.  It is interesting on two grounds:

1.  If you have any sort of idea about what they are actually measuring
and are careful no to over-infer, it is a very interesting measure of
what is interesting to people in the Web-verse.  It is a measure of
"buzz".

2.  It is interesting to see how people who have no idea of what is
actually being measured use the results for decision making.  There is
an interesting ebb and flow between reinforcement of the status quo and
promoting innovation.  Also there is the ability to manipulate the
system as Go did last year.

Obviously though there are dangers . . .
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk