There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Sat May 21 01:47:37 PDT 2011

On Sat, 21 May 2011 01:05:56 +0300, Andrej Mitrovic
<andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would also like to know how to uncommit a change which hasn't been
> pushed yet. So if I locally do:
> git add someFile.d
> git commit -m "woops wrong comment"
>
> I'd like to just uncommit that message. I couldn't find an easy way to
> do this.

git reset "HEAD^"

If you just want to edit the commit message of your last commit, use:

git commit -am "New message"

> Isn't this just hg revert on mercurial? I had to resort to
> backing up the files and re-fetching from the repo because git kept
> complaining about being "ahead" of changes. Damn complicated software
> that needs a book to operate it. :]
>
> Also I'd add the first time I tried using GIT GUI a few months ago it
> froze and crashed when I tried to do a simple clone.

I don't use git gui for cloning/pushing/etc., but it's really nice for
reviewing and picking out your changes before committing.

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net