There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Don nospam at nospam.com
Sat May 21 02:28:04 PDT 2011

Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2011 00:47:46 +0300, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I would have thought so. I wouldn't expect to find the root
>> cause first described as bug #21, yes TWENTY ONE in the msysgit database.
>
> Sorry, but did you read the bug report and the whole comment you linked
> to? It's completely unrelated, core.auto-crlf is related to the
> conversion of files in the working directory - this setting will not
> affect the way the index is accessed. You're not making much of sense,
> and I'm the "fanboy" here...
>
>> I don't know exactly what causes it. It may have something to do with
>> the fact that I have a symlink in my path. Here's the result of a
>> quick google:
>> ----
>> http://www.nishioka.com/blog/2008/01/source-control-with-git-and-cygwin.html
>>

>> "If you use git on cygwin, you must be sure your disks are mounted
>> binmode or your database will get corrupted!
>>
>> I had all my disks but one mounted binmode, but I also had a symbolic
>> link that ended up using that one textmode mount. This corrupted the
>> index and I got:
>>
>> error: bad index file sha1 signature
>> fatal: index file corrupt"
>>
>> Still not fixed in cygwin in 2011.
>
> How did you end up with a text mount? Did you create it yourself?

I don't even know what a text mount is.  (That's a quote from the page).
But my symptoms seem exactly the same as that.

My experience is:
* download, standard install.
* As far as I know there is nothing unusual to my Windows setup.
* Running 'git status' corrupts the database.
* Googling for the error message I find other people have encountered
this before.
* I find many other bugs within a couple of hours of use.
Conclude this is an _extremely_ immature product.

I'm amazed anyone disagrees with that.