[OT] Re: There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Lutger Blijdestijn lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Sat May 21 04:09:30 PDT 2011

Daniel Gibson wrote:

> Am 21.05.2011 01:34, schrieb Andrej Mitrovic:
>> What's there to configuring visual studio? You just open a solution
>> file and hit compile. If there are any dependencies you usually
>> download the libs and put them in some subfolder.
>>

> I don't have much experience with visual studio, but I've read that
> using a project from one version in another (newer) version may not
> always be painless, e.g.
> http://twitter.com/#!/ID_AA_Carmack/status/45616436995039232

Going from one version of a *solution* to the next usually just works. I
expect tech5 to be somewhat more complex though. What usually doesn't work
is going from one compiler version to the next, at least for C++. 'Managed'
.Net is a different story.

> And how well do projects from a professional version work in the free
> (Visual Studio Express) version?

That should work, the professional version is mostly about extra ide
features, the basics and the toolchain is exactly the same.

>> At least that's my experience.
>>
>> Now compare that to having to follow that gigantic tutorial for
>> compiling GDC using msys.

That's not really a fair comparison, GDC is very complex. There are also a
lot of OSS projects which are much less arcane than what GNU usually does.
Windows has it's share of complex build setups too, I believe the visual
studio shell is such an example. I generally also find the boatloads of
msbuild / nant xml scripts to be pretty incomprehensible when you need to
work with them if something doesn't work.