[OT] Re: There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Sat May 21 04:17:34 PDT 2011

Am 21.05.2011 13:09, schrieb Lutger Blijdestijn:
> Daniel Gibson wrote:
>
>> Am 21.05.2011 01:34, schrieb Andrej Mitrovic:
>>> What's there to configuring visual studio? You just open a solution
>>> file and hit compile. If there are any dependencies you usually
>>> download the libs and put them in some subfolder.
>>>

>> I don't have much experience with visual studio, but I've read that
>> using a project from one version in another (newer) version may not
>> always be painless, e.g.
>> http://twitter.com/#!/ID_AA_Carmack/status/45616436995039232
>
> Going from one version of a *solution* to the next usually just works. I
> expect tech5 to be somewhat more complex though. What usually doesn't work
> is going from one compiler version to the next, at least for C++.

Probably that was the problem.
So this seems to be a general problem: You can't just import and build a
C++ project of VSC version X in you VSC version Y - and fixing the code
to make compile errors go away is not something the "end user" will want
to do.
But of course this problem also exists with different versions of
g++/MinGW. It should be possible to install multiple versions of MinGW's
gcc/g++ in parallel though.

> 'Managed'
> .Net is a different story.
>
>> And how well do projects from a professional version work in the free
>> (Visual Studio Express) version?
>
> That should work, the professional version is mostly about extra ide
> features, the basics and the toolchain is exactly the same.

hmm Robert said it didn't work for him.

>>> At least that's my experience.
>>>
>>> Now compare that to having to follow that gigantic tutorial for
>>> compiling GDC using msys.
>
> That's not really a fair comparison, GDC is very complex. There are also a
> lot of OSS projects which are much less arcane than what GNU usually does.
> Windows has it's share of complex build setups too, I believe the visual
> studio shell is such an example. I generally also find the boatloads of
> msbuild / nant xml scripts to be pretty incomprehensible when you need to
> work with them if something doesn't work.

I agree.