There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat May 21 11:06:25 PDT 2011

On 5/21/2011 9:07 AM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
> The install instructions mentioned eariler that started this whole debate has an
> installer which has an option to sort out line endings, is that not what you
> need? (see the screenshots on the link provided).

There seem to be at least 6 ways of dealing with this on git. The documentation
on each of them is execrable.

Git just has a fundamental problem with it - that is, git wants to make a unique
hash for each file. That hash works on the binary contents of a file. Git also
works with binary files.

So, what do you do with a file with CRLFs? Is it or is it not a binary file? Do
you autodetect it and risk messing up a "binary" file? When you check in a file
with CRLFs, do you convert it first to LFs? What happens when you check that
file out? Do CRLFs get restored or not? Is a file "changed" if only CR's were
added/deleted? How do you detect that?

There simply isn't a correct answer, and the 6 ways and their schizo
documentation are utterly unclear about these issues.

The answer (for me) is to always strip CR's before git ever sees the files.
Voila, no more issues.