Should binary sharing be done using Mixin Template?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat May 21 12:03:52 PDT 2011

so:

> What kind of applications are we talking about?

Let's say all applications longer than few thousands lines of code.

> I can't imagine a situation where you sacrifice the performance (that you
> gain with templates) for a trivial issue like bloat,

Experience with profilers and with dynamic languages shows well that in all programs longer than few thousand lines a certain (sometimes good) percentage of the code doesn't influence much the performance of the whole program. So for such code other factors like code succinctness, safety, maintainability, and even binary compactness become more important than performance.

> when we finally get shared libraries, it will be even more trivial.

We will see. But I don't believe a single solution will solve this problem.

Bye,
bearophile