DustMite, a D test case minimization tool

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Mon May 23 14:04:39 PDT 2011

On 20/05/2011 23:01, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> I've tested it with a self-induced "bug" in std.datetime, it seems to
> work great. If you find that it breaks on something, let me know.

Wow, this tool works fantastically! Narrowed down a 5000 line test case
to about 80 lines (I've managed to get it down to 26 lines by removing
comments/make semantic changes there's no way it would be able to do
without some sort of semantic analysis). I'd note that the code wasn't
the most simple either, involving templates, mixins, ctfe, objects, etc.
A couple of notes that we've already discussed, but I'll paste here for
others:

  * The tool spent about 10 minutes figuring out if it was ok to delete
files in .git, then deleting them - this pretty much doubled the time
taken to run the tool!
  * It took me a while to figure out, the test command is run from the
directory you pass on the command line.

You also score bonus points for being far simpler to set up than delta,
and working *a lot* better than it (for D at least, I haven't tried it
with anything else). Well done.

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/