How about adding NEW Special Tokens?? For ease and Security

pillsy pillsbury at gmail.com
Wed May 25 07:37:36 PDT 2011

== Quote from Matthew Ong (ongbp at yahoo.com)'s article

> These 2 tokens are very useful for debugging and also trouble
> shooting during exceptions time and even implementing logging
> api similar to log4j:

> I do understand that this are compile time information and they
> are static.
> __FILE__  // prints something like D:\User\Project\...\MyMod.d
>               I do not like this full path format because it
> might give hacker some idea when of server directory layout
> structure for webbase cgi /  layout, accidentally by junior
> developer because of mis handled exceptions.

This seems like a pretty weak reason (especially since it gives
you the path of the *source file* in a compilation environment).

> __LINE__  // some line number.

> How about keeping those 2 and also adding some new compile time
> information's tokens:
> 1) __FILENAME__   // prints only MyMod.d

Use CTFE.

I don't disagree in principle with the idea of additional tokens,
but I'm not sure the ones you're talking about make a lot of sense.
I would like to see __COLUMN__, and I know adding it has been
discussed, because it's the sort of thing one ought to be able to
get from the compiler and it might be useful.

One addition that I would advocate for whic isn't on your list is
a token called __GENSYM__ (or perhaps __UNIQUE__ would be a better
name), which returns a string that's guaranteed to be unique and
usable as an identifier; this could provide additional safety when
metaprogramming with mixin templates and string mixins. Right now
you have to do hacky and not-terribly-robust things to synthesize
unique IDs out of __FILE__ and __LINE__.

Cheers,
Pillsy