How about adding NEW Special Tokens?? For ease and Security

Matthew Ong ongbp at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 08:45:25 PDT 2011

On 5/25/2011 10:46 PM, KennyTM~ wrote:
> I don't see how these 8 information _prevent_ DoS attack.  And D already
> has anti-buffer-overflow protection: range checking (in SafeD, at least).

Actually these allow the application developer to write some self
regulating routine threads to check for such thing and see how many pid
file is created within the /var/myprogram/pids directory. For denial of
service.

STIME to see how long this instance is already running if it is a CGI.
CMDLINE to see if there is shift to the file layout.

TOTMEM
MAXMEM // Max amount of memory allocated for this process.Read Only, but
dynamic. (perhaps a new setting may be done at the library or function
somewhere to limit the total amount of memory being allocated by code.)
I find that such setting are very useful to limit such within a
multi-threaded and multi-tasking application such as a web server. I
helps to reduce the amount of paging needed during runtime and stabilise
the system. In Java JVM: -X options

   -Xms<size>        set initial Java heap size
   -Xmx<size>        set maximum Java heap size
   -Xss<size>        set java thread stack size
has more as JVM start up options... but they are NOT available with the
JDK API as info also... :(

actually there is a lot more things you can counter check with ps -ef
or so on...

Perhaps, I should have use the word checking for DoS instead of
prevention. But if the CGI redirect the page to a busy static page, that
should know.

Hope that this make some sense.

The same logic with variable can also be used to develop a robust server
or middle tier.

--
Matthew Ong
email: ongbp at yahoo.com