Example within documentations of D seriously need some improvement.

dennis luehring dl.soluz at gmx.net
Fri May 27 06:16:28 PDT 2011

Am 27.05.2011 14:08, schrieb Matthew Ong:
> On 5/27/2011 7:27 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>  On 2011-05-27 09:35, Matthew Ong wrote:
>>  The documentation on the DigitalMars site is more of a language
>>  reference than a tutorial. It's probably not the best place to start but
>>  when you know the language is good to be able to look some odd syntax
>>  you rarely use.
> yes. I am aware, it is not a tutorial site. Lets compare that with
> Google Go, Java, and C# Language reference.
>
> Java
> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/j3TOC.html
> Well Organized and has detail interference. They even have implicit and
> explicit promotion documented.
>
> C#
> http://www.willydev.net/descargas/CLICsharp.pdf
> 490 pages and well documented.
>
> Go
> http://golang.org/doc/go_spec.html
> Short. But some organisation also.
> No foo and no bar. Point, Split, Join, String...
>
> I am not asking D to be as heavy pages as Java or C#(use their)
> organization but use the naming example similar to Go or something
> better? But at least see in the TOC of Java and C# to see what is
> missing from D documentation. D has a larger than Java syntax set.
>
> About tutorial.
>
> Even the tutorial site is not as organized as the one shown there?
> Please have a click on the URL:
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/tutorials/wiki/ArraysCategory
> http://www.dprogramming.com/tutorial.php
>
> Compare that to the Php,
> http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_operators.asp
>
> Please let me know which is easy to navigate and easy to read?

it is not - compared to the java,c# world - but your totaly free to help
here, there is no big organisation behind, just a bunch of poeple,
nearly all not paid for doing it - investing their sparetime to get D
better and better --> YES - your talking mostly to sparetime developers here

all you can do - show us the problems, get to the point that everything
is still growing, and that YOU can start imeditately by bringing in
new/changed content - would be great