Another Log implementation

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Mon May 30 08:26:41 PDT 2011

On 5/30/11 4:48 PM, Graham Fawcett wrote:

>>> And next year we will add IMAPLogEngine? :) Nope, I prefer just 'Email'
>>> - more generic approach.
>>
>> Uh, IMAP has nothing to do with sending mail, it's just a protocol for
>> accessing your server-side mailbox, like POP3.
>
> Actually, an IMAP-based logging sink would be conceivable. Unlike POP3,
> you can actively store documents into an IMAP mailbox.
>
> As an example, "imapfs" is a FUSE-based filesystem which stores files to
> an IMAP host. Deciding whether this is a good idea is left as an
> exercise. :)

Yeah, I know that APPENDing messages to IMAP mailboxes is possible, and
an IMAP-based logging sink could certainly be implemented. But in my
opinion, uploading a message to an user's mailbox is quite a different
concept semantically than sending mail via SMTP – for example, you could
additionally support parameters for the target mailbox, etc., that would
make no sense for just sending a message via SMTP.

I didn't know that there are IMAP-based FUSE filesystems out there,
though, thanks for mentioning – an … uhm … interesting idea. ;)

David