Character set conversions

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Tue May 31 04:12:43 PDT 2011

Daniel Gibson Wrote:

> > according to N1425
> > 7.11.1.1
> > 4. At program startup, the equivalent of
> > setlocale(LC_ALL, "C");
> > is executed.
> >
> > Fun fact is MS conforms with this specification.
>
> So they break it deliberately in Excel? Smart.

Excel deliberately localizes data presented to the user. Wouldn't it be strange for user to work with C locale (Excel users aren't programmers)? It even translates builtin function names :)
As this presentation is quite customizable, I doubt it's done by c runtime. I think it just gets string values from cells during CSV generation.