[Submission] D Slices

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue May 31 13:57:56 PDT 2011

On 5/31/11 3:19 PM, eles wrote:
> == Quote from Ali Çehreli (acehreli at yahoo.com)'s article
>> On 05/31/2011 08:10 AM, eles wrote:
>>   >  I know no other examples where open-right limits are used.
>> The C++ standard library uses open-right with its pairs of
> iterators.
>> The second iterator "points" at one beyond the last element of the
> range.
>> Ali
>
> C'mon, if C++ is such a good standard, then D would have never
> appeared. Why not dropping D completely and go to C++ then?
>
> The fact that C++ uses it that way does not making it good for us.
>
> D choose slices, not iterators. Maybe we should remind why it did it
> in the first place.
>
> Now, we are taking the "enemy" (well, is a joke) as a reference in
> the matter?

I think this is not even remotely fair-play. The man simply responded to
your question, and even quoted it. You shouldn't reframe his answer as
if he argued it that way.

Honest, I suggest we all just end this. This is well-trodden ground,
it's unlikely new things will be learned, and definitely the semantics
won't change.

Andrei