Review of Jesse Phillips's CSV Parser

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Wed Nov 2 06:11:24 PDT 2011

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 03:28:07 +0200, Jesse Phillips
<jessekphillips+d at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:21:02 +0200, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:18:27 +0300, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Docs:
>>> http://nascent.freeshell.org/programming/D/doc/phobos/std_csv.html
>>
>> Checked the new docs today. If I'm reading them right, the top example
>> prints:
>>
>> "Fred works as a Fly and earns $4 per year"
>>
>> Is this a pop culture reference I'm not catching?
>
> No, not that I know of. Should it be? Should I go with a more
> professional like example?

I guess such things are really subjective, but personally to me it does
seem a bit silly, and out-of-place from the documentation of a language
that aims to be the successor of C++.

Have you decided about whether you'll be adding a formatter? Regardless of
that, IMO the naming of "csvText" is not ideal. What does the "text" part
imply - isn't CSV inherently a text format? How about "csvReader", which
would also disambiguate it from a CSV formatter?

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net