BitBucket Offers Git Support

Martin Nowak dawg at dawgfoto.de
Wed Nov 2 07:47:39 PDT 2011

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 11:07:54 +0100, Denis Shelomovskij
<verylonglogin.reg at gmail.com> wrote:

> 02.11.2011 8:23, Caligo пишет:
>> I just found out that Bitbucket finally offers Git support.  I wonder,
>> would anyone else like to see GDC switch to Git?  I would like to kindly
>> make a request because it would make things little easier.
>
> What things? I see, that every one switches to Git, but what the
> purpose? I don't have a deep knowledge about DVCS-s, but I'm really
> interested in what Git functionality is missing in Hg for you?
>
> Is it:
> * discarding previously pulled branches;
> * pruning old revision data from the local repository;
> * unlimited number of parent revisions during a merge;
> * rebasing;
> * infinite power of `git-push --force`?
>
> Only the first one looks good for me, but the last one scares me because
> you can loose the remote repository (and I really sow it frightens
> people). Others are looking seldom applicable.
>
> So why does Git advantages worth:
> * Git complexity (in comparison with Hg);
> * ability to loose the remote repository;
> * lack of file rename/copy support;
> * periodic maintenance with git-gc?
>

> I don't hate Git. I just don't understand the current opinion and would
> be glad if someone will base is for me, TIA.

The main point is that git offers a lean mental model.

http://book.git-scm.com/1_the_git_object_model.html
http://book.git-scm.com/7_the_packfile.html

IMHO a complete understanding/control of what is happening scales much
better
than a fleshed out abstraction that hangs in the air.

Two regular arguments against git.

- The Tcl/Tk based Git Gui and gitk look awful.

   Yes the do but are highly efficient on a day-to-day basis.
   I'm running a FreeBSD system and I can not find any simple
   (non-KDE) but complete Hg tool.
   Complete here means committing and inspecting the tree.
   On windows you have TortoiseHg which already is too fancy.

- I don't want to be able to delete my commits.

   Yes you do. Way more often than expected. Git helps a lot
   in organizing experimental changes/committing. Also git
   does not delete commits but uses garbage collection, you can
   get them back from the trashcan. You can also create hazard
   references and delete them.

That said it takes a while.

martin