BitBucket Offers Git Support

Don nospam at nospam.com
Wed Nov 2 18:24:51 PDT 2011

On 02.11.2011 11:00, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> On 02-11-2011 11:07, Denis Shelomovskij wrote:
>> 02.11.2011 8:23, Caligo пишет:
>>> I just found out that Bitbucket finally offers Git support. I wonder,
>>> would anyone else like to see GDC switch to Git? I would like to kindly
>>> make a request because it would make things little easier.
>>
>> What things? I see, that every one switches to Git, but what the
>> purpose? I don't have a deep knowledge about DVCS-s, but I'm really
>> interested in what Git functionality is missing in Hg for you?
>>
>> Is it:
>> * discarding previously pulled branches;
>> * pruning old revision data from the local repository;
>> * unlimited number of parent revisions during a merge;
>> * rebasing;
>> * infinite power of `git-push --force`?
>>
>> Only the first one looks good for me, but the last one scares me because
>> you can loose the remote repository (and I really sow it frightens
>> people). Others are looking seldom applicable.
>>
>> So why does Git advantages worth:
>> * Git complexity (in comparison with Hg);
>> * ability to loose the remote repository;
>> * lack of file rename/copy support;
>> * periodic maintenance with git-gc?
>>

>> I don't hate Git. I just don't understand the current opinion and would
>> be glad if someone will base is for me, TIA.
>
> Minor correction: Git does have rename/move support; see git mv. I do
> not see why a VCS needs to be copy-aware.
>
> I generally point people to http://whygitisbetterthanx.com/ when they
> ask why Git is great, though personally these are the features I like:

Why point people there? That's a dreadful page! Here are his arguments:
*cheap local branching. OK.
*everything is local. INVALID. This applies to any DVCS.
*git is fast. INVALID. Not true on Windows, and the timing data is
obsolete (the other systems have caught up).
*git is small. INVALID. This is obsolete data (the other systems have
caught up).
*the staging area. OK.
*distributed. INVALID. This applies to any DVCS.
*any workflow. Maybe. Though other DVCS's are pretty flexible.
*github. OK.

and then he finishes with:
*easy to learn
What is that guy smoking?????

That page is really, really bad publicity for git. They should update
it, or take it down.