typedef alive and well?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Thu Nov 3 12:47:48 PDT 2011

Am 03.11.2011, 18:43 Uhr, schrieb Steve Teale
<steve.teale at britseyeview.com>:

> On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 13:22:49 -0400, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, November 03, 2011 09:22 Steve Teale wrote:
>>> I see that Walter just fixed a typedef bug in 2.056, even though I was
>>> just ticked of for even thinking of using one ;=)
>>
>> He probably fixed it because it hasn't actually been given the axe yet,
>> but it's definitely going to get the axe - and probably soon, since
>> there was some discussion of wanting to remove (or at least deprecate)
>> features that are definitely going to be removed before gdc actually
>> makes it into gcc so that the changes are less disruptive when they
>> happen.
>>
> Jonathan,
>
> I thank you for your reply. I was just watching Sarkozy at the G20
> talking about the potential Greek referendum. He took a similarly firm
> view. The outcome of that situation remains TBD.
>
> I wonder if D in gcc might be rather like the Eurozone.
>
> Steve

It caused some discussion. Someone didn't like the naked-function feature
or other traits of D that (official) support has to be written for in the
GCC backend first. But I don't see how D would become unbearable for the
GCC people as long as the frontend is maintained. There have been other
language frontends bitrotting before, so the 'Eurozone' is suspicious and
looks closely on who is joining them.
Since D in GCC is often requested I believe it will have a positive future
there and give the language more momentum, since people don't have to
leave their known and pre-installed tool chain.