typedef alive and well?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Nov 3 15:42:01 PDT 2011

Martin Nowak:

> I think there's a lot to learn from http://python.org/download/releases/.
> For example somebody changing from Python2.5 to 2.7 is anticipating
> some breaking changes, not so much for a change from dmd2.053 to dmd2.056.

There is a difference between Python 2.5 and the current D2. D/DMD contains several unfinished features (see recent large changes in inout or CTFE), and several design holes that are quite open still (array covariance, purity details to be fixed still, some parts of the const system, etc). So while Python2.5 is a mature language that is essentially only gaining new features (slowly, there was even a moratorium for the enhancements, to allow pypy and jython to catch up, that was recently lifted), D2 despite its age is not mature yet, and it probably needs some changes still, maybe some small breaking too. (I am keeping a list less than a dozen of tiny breaking changes for D, most of them were not discussed much yet).

Bye,
bearophile