Request for D core devs: git pull --rebase

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Sat Nov 5 15:29:11 PDT 2011

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 00:15:37 +0200, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
wrote:

> So, I should probably add the question more explicitly, what exactly does
> using --rebase gain other than not having the extra commit message? Why
> is it better?

It also makes the history easier to follow (less branching in the DAG).

I'm personally reserved about this advice, mainly because handling
conflicts is more complicated. D contributors who are not confident in
their Git skills may want to avoid this, since it's easy to make a mistake
and get into a situation that's not trivial or obvious how to recover from.

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net