std.datetime is too big

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Nov 6 01:00:13 PDT 2011

On Sunday, November 06, 2011 09:53:26 Somedude wrote:
> Le 06/11/2011 05:53, Steve Teale a écrit :
> >> Thank you for your comprehensive response. It's very appreciated. I am
> >> also interested in knowing why splitting the module was dropped. As I
> >> said, it would make things a bit clearer, especially since the sources
> >> embark the unit tests.
> >> And a Ddoc page that spans a hundred screens long strikes me as
> >> unsound.
> >
> > We should however thank Jonathan for the work he put into the
> > documentation. It may be long, but it is thorough. Would you rather have
> > the documentation from std.socket?
> >
> > Steve
>
> Yes, of course, I'm conscious of the tremendous effort put in this
> module and its documentation, there is no question about it, and really
> I didn't mean to underestimate it.

The particularly frustrating thing is that it really isn't all that
complicated. It's just that there's a lot of it, and so it appears daunting. I
eagerly await the time when I'll be able to improve the links at the top,
which I really think will help make the module more accessible.

In any case, if you haven't read it yet, you really should read this article:
http://d-programming-language.org/intro-to-datetime.html

It should help clarify std.datetime and will probably answer a number of the
questions that you might have.

- Jonathan M Davis