Request for D core devs: git pull --rebase

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+d at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 10:41:03 PST 2011

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 19:16:01 -0700, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> Rebasing, I understand. Rebasing happens often enough in pull requests.
> It affects branches that way, not master, so I don't think that it's
> really all that big a deal - particularly when such branchs frequently
> created just for that pull request and are deleted aftewards.

I agree it probably isn't a big deal, but it _is_ a rewrite and _does_
have some implications. If you merge with --rebase, that branch is
_dead_. As pull requests are public this could cause confusion, but
mostly it should be something to be aware of.

It maybe reasonable, but as you say, why do it if you don't get to use
the merge button.