Request for D core devs: git pull --rebase

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Nov 6 13:28:58 PST 2011

On Sunday, November 06, 2011 20:40:12 Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> I should clarify that this entire post was directed at *normal git pull
> operations*. Not merging of pull requests. Those will (and should!)
> result in a merge commit to make it easier to see when in history a pull
> request was merged in.

Then I'm totally confused. When you pull from master to your own repository,
you _don't_ want to use rebase, because then you can't push it back or merge
it back in. And if you're merging into master, then it's almost always a pull
request. Unless you're talking about the master in your own repository rather
than the main one? Except that that doesn't make sense either, because for
most people, pull requests come from  their branches, and master generally
matches what's in the main repository's master (if it doesn't, it's probably
because they're doing pull requests from master).

So, I have no idea what you were trying to get across with your original post
if you weren't talking about pull requests.

- Jonathan M Davis