Request for D core devs: git pull --rebase

Johann MacDonagh johann.macdonagh.no at spam.gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 17:22:48 PST 2011

On 11/5/2011 5:38 PM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> This is a friendly request for D core devs to use 'git pull --rebase'
> instead of just plain 'git pull' when pulling remote changes into local
> repositories. The reason for this is that it takes any outstanding
> commits in your local tree, unrolls them, pulls in the remote changes,
> and reapplies your local commits *without creating a merge commit*. This
> helps keep history clean and easier to navigate, making everyone's life
> that much easier. :)
>
> For example:
>
> $ git commit -m "my local stuff"
> $ git pull --rebase origin master
> $ git push origin master
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Alex

This only applies to people to push to master, and I think Walter is the
only one who does that. In this case, I completely agree with you.
Walter should either create a branch with a name that describes what
he's doing, or rebase his local commits onto the remote master before
pushing.

We've already has a few problems with this, where some versions of
Phobos have been tagged but weren't either merged or rebased
successfully. I submitted pull requests to fix both of them.