build system

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Nov 6 23:58:13 PST 2011

On 2011-11-05 14:47, Marco Leise wrote:
> Am 05.11.2011, 13:52 Uhr, schrieb Marco Leise <Marco.Leise at gmx.de>:
>
>> Am 26.10.2011, 20:52 Uhr, schrieb Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com>:
>>> I'm working on a package manager:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/orbit/wiki/Orbit-Package-Manager-for-D
>>> https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/orbit
>>
>> I'll check it out now. Maybe it can already do some basic compile
>> jobs. At least it seems like you really don't want 'Orbit' to go
>> unnoticed ;)
>
> It took me a while to notice the D2 branch, but I still couldn't get it
> to compile. I installed Ruby, but not DSSS - the dsss.conf seemed simple
> enough, although you have a hardcoded directory to the latest
> (hard-masked in Gentoo) ruby library in it. I just passed all .d files
> to dmd, but it found a missing method return type in line 28 in Zip.d
> and tried to import some non-existent Tango files. That's where I
> stopped trying.
> On Linux I'm used to running ./configure and then type make and I'm done
> --> If Ruby 1.9 isn't installed it should fall back to ruby18-static.a.
> and there should be no hard-coded path to it. Also I would prefer if
> DSSS or Tango weren't used in a D2 project simply because they are not
> up-to-date. On Windows you can expect people to install a precompiled
> binary, but not so much on Linux. So it would help Orbit's popularity if
> it could be compiled from source without much of a hassle :)
>
> - Marco

It's not quite ready to be used by other people yet. I haven't worked on
the D2 branch for a while, I was just trying out how well it would work
with D2 and Phobos. It didn't work out that well. The project still uses
D1 and Tango for the simple reason that I think that Tango is a better
library than Phobos. No easy way of doing networking with Phobos, no
cryptographic package and so on.

If you want to try it out use the master branch, D1 and Tango. You can
compile it with the "build.sh" shell script, no hard coded paths.

You can easily install D1 and Tango using DVM:
https://bitbucket.org/doob/dvm

--
/Jacob Carlborg